I originally made this celery, apple and fennel salad to go along with some ribs my dad was making. (You can go check out the recipe here.) I figured the bright crunchy veg with the sharp acidic dressing would go well with the fatty ribs. And spoiler alert, it did.
This is a great salad to make with any fatty rich piece of meat or anything fried. So, a great option for grilled meat this summer. Or, if you’re in a no-cook kinda mood, open a can of smoked, tinned fish, or sardines, a piece of toasted bread and your meal is done.Jump to Recipe
It goes great with ribs, just saying.
Celery Apple and Fennel Salad
- 3 stalks celery sliced on a diagonal
- 1 green apple thinly sliced
- 1 large handful parsley leaves
- 1 bulb fennel thinly sliced, reserving small handful of fennel fronds
- 1 bunch radishes more or less depending on the size, and/or you love of radishes
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 pinch five spice powder
- fresh ground black pepper
- Thinly slice the fennel, apple, celery and radish. Give the parsley a rough chop if you need to, you want to keep the leaves pretty big here. Toss everything in the vinegar. Then give it a generous sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds, a pinch of five spice powder, a good drizzle of toasted sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss again and serve.