We love pizza around here. I know, how novel right? Everyone loves pizza. When I want a thick, pillowy square of some low-maintenance pizza this is the recipe I always go to. It’s got more of a Roman, pizza al taglio vibe.
One of the reasons I always come back to making this dough is because it’s no-knead, no pizza peel or stone required, just a baking tray, and it can be made in as little as 5-6 hours. It’s really a dump and go kinda dough. All very hands-off.
This can be topped with whatever you want. I recently did one with some pepperoncini and salami and another with marinated artichokes. Chef’s kiss. Very good. Use whatever you want. Go wild with your toppings and let me know about it in the comments below!Jump to Recipe
When I want a thick, pillowy square of some low-maintenance pizza this is the recipe I always go to.
Pan Pizza Dough
- 1 quarter sheet pan 9×13” or 10×15” both work
- 400 g warm water roughly equivalent to 1½ C + 3 tbsp
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp honey or sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g flour roughly equivalent to 3 1/2 C
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- In a large bowl add water, oil, honey and yeast. Let sit for about 5 mins to make sure the yeast is alive. If you’re confident you have fresh yeast, no need to wait.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt. Whisk well.
- Add the flour mixture to your water and yeast mixture. Stir to combine. You don’t need to excessively mix this, just make sure you don’t have any pockets of dry flour, you want everything hydrated.
- Cover bowl and let rise for about 5 hours at room temp or overnight in the fridge.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, and plenty of olive oil. Dump dough onto baking tray, and stretch to fit pan. You may need to let it rest for 20 mins and gently stretch it again if it keeps springing back on you. Let rise for about an hour at room temp.
- Get your oven preheated to as hot as it will go. Usually that will be 500°F (260°C), but if you can go to 550°F (285°C) do it. Place rack in center of over.
- Top pizza with whatever you like. Bake pizza for 12-16 minutes. This will depend on your oven temp. If you have an oven that goes to 500°F (260°C) you will bake it closer to the 16 min mark. After those initial 12-16 minutes, set the oven to broil and let that pizza get bubbly and crisp on top. It usually takes 3 or 4 mins. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- Remove pizza from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before removing from the tray and slicing. Then eat up!